Happy Black Friday, peeps!
If you’re considering some retail therapy to celebrate the day, head down to Chinook Centre where they’re unveiling their Christmas polar bears this morning. It’s the coolest thing!
The bears, one of which stands more than 25 feet tall, make up a massive art installation going into the mall for Christmas. Inspired by soapstone carvings, the bears were brought to life by Calgary-based Heavy Industries after creative collaboration with G+HA. They’re really quite amazing — check it out below. That’s one of the little baby bears getting his finishing touches before the move. Chris and other local media got sneak peek of the bears and a chance to toast them at a pop-up ice bar last week. You can see a few snaps from the party here.
- Chris really enjoyed dinner at Bar C last Friday! There’s a fabulous wine list with the option to order by 50 mL pours and we had a friendly server who kept us laughing all evening. Chris recommends the fish tacos, the game meat balls, every kind of tartar, the kale and the oysters.
- For a good laugh, take a few minutes to watch this video in which Julie Sweeney recounts how she had “The Talk” with her daughter.
- Nerd out with Dictionary.com’s Word of the Year.
- Remember Michelle’s awesome Mackage jacket? It’s on sale for 30% off at Studio Intent, along with a few other great Mackage coats.
- This Benefit eyeshadow is sweet, especially in Leggy, the soft pink shade.
- Also sweet: Black Friday sales. Here are just a few stores that have them going today and/or throughout the weekend: Aritzia, Holt Renfrew, Leo Boutique and Atmosphere. Into books? House of Anansi, one of Michelle’s favourite publishers, is offering 30% off all its books.
- Chris’s 2012-13 ski resort previews were published in the Calgary Herald yesterday. To find out what’s going on at resorts within a seven(ish)-hour drive of Calgary, check it out here!
- An idea for Santas out there: this bright pink baselayer would make any skier happy on Christmas morning.
~The Toque Girls