Hola, amigos. Manana voy a Mexico. I’m (Michelle) getting into Spanish mode, as I will be checking out an incredible fitness resort and spa, Rancho La Puerta, in Tecate, Baja California, Mexico, for the next few glorious days. I don’t know what it’s like to go to Mexico and not overdose on chips, guacamole and margaritas, so this will be a refreshing adventure. I fully expect to be this chick next week (if I can get myself out of bed in time for the early morning hikes). Can’t. Wait.
For my part (Chris), I’m taking it easy. I’m planning to hit up a few farmers markets and make something like this for Sunday. Wish me luck because I’m taking my road bike out for the first time since I hurt my foot.
On to things we like!
- Dreams do come true. Remember hearing about Project Loretta? It’s happening! Hayley and her mom, Loretta, will be flying to Niagara Falls at the end of August to meet Keith Urban and catch his show. Thanks to everyone who watched the video and helped spread the word!
- If you haven’t seen Evil Dead The Musical, you have until September 8 to catch it at Calgary’s Pumphouse Theatre. One word: amazing.
- If you’re planning to be in Calgary on Sept. 7, check out this concert by the CPO. It’s only $20!
- Michelle is onto the final pages of John Irving’s latest book, In One Person, and she doesn’t want it to end. If you enjoy Irving (A Prayer For Owen Meany is still one of Michelle’s all-time faves), you should check this one out.
- Also on the reading list, Toque Girl fave Jonathon Tropper’s new book came out this week. Tropper never disappoints.
- And more reading, Hadley Freeman, one of Chris’ favourite writers, gives her take on the “legitimate rape” controversy. She nails it.
- Peleton Cycling is offering a fantastic deal on three months of cycling classes. It’s a very good way to get through the shoulder season in between biking and skiing. (Egad! Are we already talking about that?)
- Have you heard about the new documentary on Dieppe? It’s amazing. Even if you’re not a history buff, you’ll be caught up in this story. Chris watched the whole thing twice in two days. She did most of her Masters research at the National Archives featured in the film.
- Chris received plenty of compliments on her eye makeup this week. Here’s the secret.
Have a great weekend!
~The Toque Girls
Photo via here.