First things first, how AWESOME is this photo?!?! The Toque Girls met Jim Cuddy and his band at Field Law’s Stampede kick-off party. We were marginally more composed than our friend Mr. Fabulous (who bounded into the room with a grand “Tada!” and hugged Jim Cuddy) but, clearly, we were pretty giddy. Check out Chris’ grin. That’s also because she pushed Michelle out of the way so she could stand next to Jim.
Happy Friday and happy first day of Stampede! We hope you have a great weekend of Stampeding ahead. If you’re not yet in Calgary, do come visit! It’s gonna be a good one.
We’ve loaded up the Things We Like list this week. Have at ‘er:
- Have you read this list of Stampedisms? It’s freaking hilarious. (Thanks, Emily, for sending it to us.)
- Then, read this fantastic piece on “busyness.” We pledge never to say that we’re “busy” again.
- Have you heard of country singer Ryan Laird? If not, you should. Michelle met this talented musician on Wednesday, when they both walked as “celebrity models” (the title made her giggle all day long) in The Core’s Stampede fashion show. Blog post to come about the awesome event, but, till then, check out Ryan’s music. You can even do it in person tonight, because he’s playing Nashville North at 8 p.m.!
- On the music front, DJ Morgan Page is playing Flames Central tomorrow night. Fittingly enough, one of his songs, called The Longest Road, came up on Michelle’s iPod nano while she was running stairs this week. The first words? “Giddyup and go.” We think we’ll adopt that as our Stampede mantra.
- Keeping with the music theme, check out Shred Kelly. They’re a bunch of banjo-playing, self-proclaimed ski bums from Fernie who are among the top three winning acts for CBC’s Tracks on Tracks. Chris heard them last weekend at Fernie’s Canada Day festivities and had to buy the CD for the drive home.
- Now onto fashion. Thinking about making a pair of Daisy Dukes? These DIY denim cut-offs are awesome.
- Kim Flanagan — the stylist who helped us out with Stampede style earlier this week — will be at Old Navy at Chinook Center from 1-4 on Saturday. She’ll help get your Stampede look together.
- We both love Chris Cleave’s writing. (Little Bee is amazing.) Michelle just picked up his latest book, Gold, and loves it so far. Just thought you should know, in case you’re on the hunt for a good read.
- Have you tried Bloch flats? So comfy. You can find them at Aritzia!
~The Toque Girls