Hello first day post-Stampede. This is what real life feels like. No one offering beer for breakfast, no fun concerts to attend, no bull-riding cowboys to cheer on.
And I could use a bit of real life. To kick things off, I’m going on a little detox. No calorie-deprivation or weird cleanses: it’s just a promise to myself that veggies will reign supreme this week. To do that, I’m bringing out my favourite detox salad. It’s going to be on the lunch menu all week long.
Summer Detox Salad
- 2 cups of fresh arugula (I love arugula from Hotchkiss farms.)
- 6-8 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup fresh peas right from the pods
- 1/4 cup of chopped orange pepper
- 2/3 cup of cooked French lentils
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 5 olives or 1/4 avocado
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh basil or oregano
For the dressing, mix the red wine vinegar, olive oil and herbs together. Whisk together until smooth.
Add vegetables together in mixing bowl and top with lentils. Chop egg white and add to salad. Sometimes, I’ll include one of the yolks. Top with olives and dressing.