Some people’s weekend plans involve trips to Italy. Mine do not. No matter. I’ll still be dining al fresco.
I’m planning a weekend picnic with the boy. On the menu — a no-cook selection of goodies like cheese, fruit, cured meats, a baguette and, of course, a nice bottle of wine. The idea comes from this book on picnics, which my lovely friend Melissa gave me before I got married.
Author Sara Deseran has some delicious pairing suggestions for cheese (I’ll highlight my favourites below). I’m heading to the Italian store this afternoon to pick up a few combos. What do you think? Any additions?
- Parmesan or Manchego cheese with apricot jam or figs.
- Blue cheese like Gorgonzola with sliced apples or red grapes
- Mild, soft-ripened cheese like Teleme with cherries
- Tangy goat’s milk cheese with fresh figs, honey and walnut bread
- Roquefort with toasted walnuts and ripe pears
- English-style Cheddar with chutney and pickled onions or pickles
- Shaved pecorino with fresh shelled fava beans
There you go — some delicious outdoor eats, no flight required.
~ChrisPhoto via here