Happy long weekend! We hope you have restful plans because, well, resting up pre-Stampede is a wise, wise choice. As for the Toque Girls, Michelle will be taking it easy at her family’s cabin and Chris will be sleeping, hiking and eating in beautiful Fernie.
Let’s dive right into Things We Like:
- First up, these Tory Burch wedges that Michelle bought in L.A. She has worn them non-stop since and can’t recall ever receiving so many compliments on her footwear. They’re comfy, go with everything from jeans and shorts to dresses, and — best of all — were on sale. Meet her new fave shoe:
- The summer issue of HERS magazine arrived last weekend! Many of our friends have stories or photos in the issue and your very own Toque Girls contributed a few stories, too. Michelle wrote the cover story on the incredible, Canmore-based humanitarian Amanda Lindhout, as well as a spa round-up, and Chris wrote the Health Boosters piece. Do check out the online flip-book!
- In time for Canada Day, the Globe and Mail has posted an unscientific “What kind of Canadian are you?” quiz. According to her answers, Michelle is pegged as a “prairie dweller” but not an “Albertan.” Chris is an “East Coaster” and least likely to be from Alberta or BC. Interesting! What are you?
- Now, taking a look at Canadian fashion, the HuffPo has a fun round-up of Canadian cult classics. (Chris’ much-loved Roots sweats made the list.)
- We love our friend Leah Hennel’s portraits of real-life Alberta cowboys for the Calgary Herald. Stampede can’t come soon enough! (BTW, there’s a new official app for the Calgary Stampede. It’s a good way to track concerts, parties and rodeo events!)
- Chris went on a summer Sephora splurge this week and discovered Deep Throat Blush by NARS Cosmetics. Have you tried it? It’s a really light pink, so good for summer days.
- The world lost an incredible writer this week. Here’s a funny piece from Nora Ephron in 2003 where she writes about her experience as an intern in the Kennedy White House. She says she’s the only intern that JFK didn’t make a pass at.
- Last but not least, congratulations Miranda Russell! You’re the winner of the $50 gift card for The Core. We’ll email you later today!
Have a great weekend and a happy Canada Day. We’ll see you Tuesday!
~The Toque Girls